12/01/2023News – Earth Commission News
Earth Commission at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2023
The World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2023 will take place in Davos, Switzerland from 16 – 20 January.
In a historic first, natural and social science will take a centre-stage at the conference. Two of our Co-chairs, Johan Rockström and Joyeeta Gupta, will deliver a preview of the Commission’s forthcoming safe and just science in the Plenary Hall.
Plenary presentation: Leading the Charge through Earth’s New Normal
Date: Wednesday, 18 January 2023
Time: 14.00-15.00 CET
Location: WEF Plenary Hall and Livestreamed here
*White Badge Event*
Prof. Johan Rockström and Prof. Joyeeta Gupta will preview groundbreaking science of an Earth Commission report due out in early 2023. This report outlines newly quantified ‘Earth System Boundaries’ designed to safeguard a stable and resilient planet and underpin the setting of science-based targets for businesses, cities and governments. Crucially, these new boundaries account for Earth system impacts and human wellbeing and justice.
This pioneering new science proposes clear new boundaries, like the Paris Agreement’s 1.5C limit for climate, for several interconnected global commons: Climate, Biosphere (intact nature and managed nature), Freshwater (ground and surface), Fertilizers (phosphorus and nitrogen) and Aerosol Pollutants (air quality).
It is the first-time justice has been factored into an assessment of the state of the planet, and represents a quantum leap in our ability to understand Earth’s capacity to sustain life, and of the role we humans play as guardians of our only home and each other.
- Gim Huay Neo, Managing Director, Centre for Nature and Climate, World Economic Forum Geneva
- Joyeeta Gupta, Professor of Environment and Development in the Global South, University of Amsterdam and Earth Commission co-chair
- Johan Rockström, Director, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) and Earth Commission co-chair
- Roshni Nadar Malhotra, Chairperson, HCL Technologies Ltd
- Al Gore, Vice-President of the United States (1993-2001); Chairman and Co-Founder, Generation Investment Management LLP
- Gustavo Francisco Petro Urrego, President of Colombia, Colombia Government
- Marc Benioff, Chair and Co-Chief Executive Officer, Salesforce
- Andrew Forrest, Chairman and Founder, Fortescue Metals Group Limited
- Fawn Sharp, President, National Congress of American Indians
- Yo-Yo Ma, Cellist
Read more on the World Economic Forum website here.
Going to Davos? Find us and our collaborators on site.
To locate the Global Commons Alliance partners in Davos, we welcome you to take inspiration from this overview of Global Commons Alliance related activities. You can find details about most of these events via the InTent programme of activities happening in the SDG tent.
Or access livestream events from our partners.
Other partner resources include We Don’t Have Time’s coverage of Davos, and livestreaming from the SDG tent.